Wednesday 27 May 2009

Triple J Hottest 100 of all Time

Triple J have once again decided to poll their listeners on their favourite songs of all time and have decided to have it over a whole weekend over July 11th and 12th instead of the annual Australia Day event. It's not what I'd call a great idea as it makes it hard to plan a bbq around but I am still looking forward to the event and curious as to what will take out the top spot. The safe guess would be "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as it was the winner of the previous countdown in 1998 and still one of the most popular songs ever among Triple J listeners. The playlist at Triple J has changed a lot though in the last 10 years and it is easier than ever to vote so it will likely receive entries from a lot people who don't necessarily listen to the station. I grew up listening to Triple J and still consider it Australia's best radio station, even though I don't listen to it as much as I used to. It is the only radio station that plays most of my favourite artists and their excellent live music recordings have kept me listening in recent years.

The big question is then, Will the countdown refect the music Triple J has played over it's illustrious history or will new music be featured heavily in it's place? After all 100 songs isn't a lot and there will be some great songs that miss out. I am finding it to be an impossible task to pick my Favourite 10 songs out of over 15,000 that are currently in my music library. Whatever the result, I am sure we will be treated to some great music over the weekend and we'll have an indication of what songs from the past 20 years or beyond are still relevant to the majority of listeners. I have picked 10 from my favourites shortlist to vote for in a poll on my blogs main page so cast your vote. Click this link to vote in Triple J's Hottest 100 of All Time and to see previous years countdown's. http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100_alltime/voting/.

Here are some of the great live videos that I have been watching from the fantastic Triple J website.











No comments: