Friday 17 April 2009

Gomez - A New Tide - Album Review


Rating: ****
1. "Mix"
2. "Little Pieces"
3. "If I Ask You Nicely"
4. "Lost Track"
5. "Win Park Slope"
6. "Bone Tired"
7. "Airstream Driver"
8. "Natural Reaction"
9. "Very Strange"
10."Other Plans"
11."Sunset Gates"

I have waited a few weeks to let Gomez's 6th studio album sink in before making any judgment on it and after repeated listens, A New Tide has started to grow on me. It is not their best but they are a band that don't make the same album over and over and that's one of the reasons I love them. It is less radio friendly than their previous effort How We Operate, sounding more like their underrated 3rd album In Our Gun. Not to say that they are no catchy somgs on the album with tracks like "If I Ask You Nicely", "Natural Reaction" and excellent first single "Airstream Driver" all having an upbeat vibe. The acoustic guitar is heavily featured on this album and all 3 vocalists share the lead on singing duties, with some excellent backing vocals on every track. Their latest offering has received mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it as whole album, even though there were not as many stand-out tracks as usual. I may be biased though because they are probably my favourite band. The distinctive vocals of Ben Ottewell on "Little Pieces", "Lost Track", "Bone Tired" and "Sunset Gates" are reason enough for Gomez fans to be excited about another release. I am glad I persevered with this album becuase it is getting better with every listen and a worthy addition to their impressive catalogue. I will look forward to seeing them back in Australia to tour this album, hopefully this year sometime.



No comments: