Wednesday 11 February 2009

St Kilda Festival - 8th Febuary 2009

I only got to see a couple bands at St Kilda Festival due to the delicious beers at the Village Belle holding me hostage but they were both excellent. The first band I saw was the Black Market Rhythm Co,who played on the AIR stage at about 4pm. The before mentioned beers put me in the perfect mood for this funky four-piece as they played tracks from their latest release Low-Fi Records, Hi Fi Radio. This was the 3rd time I seen this gold coast based band live,the first time was at the Gold Coast BDO in 2008 and the other was supporting Roger That at the Evelyn in Fitzroy.




Lead singer Christopher Ernst was celebrating his birthday on that occasion and confessed that he was quite drunk after playing a cover of Radiohead's "Exit Music for a Film" in the wrong key, still a great gig though.

Their set at the St Kilda Festival ended a little too soon but all in attendance were dancing and having a good time in general which is what you want in a gig. Their last song "Low-Fi Records, Hi-Fi Radio" was a crowd pleaser as they moved to the groovy horns and guitar and sang along during the catchy chorus. They will be a band to watch in the future, click this link for their My Space page where you can preview some of their music.
http://www.myspace.com/theblackmarketrhythmco





I only got to see a couple of songs by Jackson Jackson, partly because they played the song I wanted to hear "Eliza" early on. The band I was really looking forward to seeing was The Angels. Admittedly, I haven't listened to The Angels in about 15 years but growing up with 3 older brothers they were heavily played in the house in my younger years. Funnily enough I still remembered all the words after all these years and knew every track they played. My mate Ako and I heard "Dogs are Talking" from the bar across the road and sped off towards the stage singing all the way.
From there we were treated to a non-stop marathon of hits from the past including "No Secrets", "Be With You", "Face the Day", "We Gotta Get Out of this Place", "Take a Long Line", "Marseilles" and their signature track "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again", which was played early on. As the chants of "No Way, Get Fucked, Fuck Off" echoed around St Kilda I noticed there were a number of punters younger than me singing along which was good to see. It was also good to see Doc Neeson's voice was as good as ever and his theatrics were as present as ever. The set was a great dose of nostalgia and was enjoyed by all ages. After a few chants of "Angels" CLAP CLAP CLAP, Doc Neeson came back on stage to play a quick encore of "City Out of Control". I was completely deflated after the gig and unfortunately didn't have the energy for Tex Perkins & his Ladyboyz but a great day was had by all.

No comments: